Daisypath Vacation tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

UPDATE 11/24

"Projects" as we call them in the O'Donnell family are often events were us men have nothing else to do but to tear down something and build in the new. It is often a hobby and keeps us busy and out of trouble. Over the years I have learned my share of handyman talents mostly from my Father as well as my Brother and Uncles. Since Michele and I bought our home we have just about renovated every part of the house but our bathroom. I wanted to do something special for Michele before her arrival home for good as in her condition she would never be able to use our current master bathroom including the shower, tub and toilet. What Michele needed was a handicap accessible bathroom that she cold use when she return home.

Well with that said about 4 weeks ago I got out the tools and started demolition. The usual trusted and steady helpers followed immediately, Brian, Billy and John John. After a week of demo and reconstruction I started to feel the work wearing on me. I forgot one helper that was always by my side, telling me to stop for the evening, feeding me and messaging my muscles for the next day "Michele". My point was I would go non stop with out Michele. I was truly wearing myself out for the first time in my life with a "project". This was not like me but I had to call in the troops. Other than my Father who would have been at my home in a moments notice the next best and most trusted carpenter I know showed up within a week to help with the project. Jim O'Donnell my Uncle, my fathers brother as well as Brians father came to the rescue. His wife Kathy came to keep us all in line, cook wonderful food and help with being a caregiver to Michele. Brian and I had most of the construction done before Jim arrived and honestly I had never done tile work before. I guess that was the one thing my father never taught me in construction. I can tell you though that from the tutelage of his brother Jim I have now learned the art of tiling. Jim upon his arrival decided on the pattern we should make and OH! it just so happens it is one of the toughest patterns to do. I feel like I can tile the world now after learning what we did. As you can see from the Pics below Michele now has a wonderful 35 square foot shower with 3 shower heads and a seat. she can operate the shower from a sitting position or from a wheelchair. Her toilet is handicap approved and she has handle bars all around where needed.

After 4 weeks of non stop work in the evenings till 3AM at times the work was done. My fathers brother came to the rescue and I thank him and Kathy for that. My trusted right hand man Brian never left my side and my 2 sons learned something from this that my father was never able to teach me. My wish was for Michele to see the finished project and that has yet to come. She is unable to get to the upstairs without being carried and she is not ready for that. She has seen the Pics and is waiting for the day to see the unbelievable job done by the trusted O'Donnell boys.

Thanks guys and this one is for the scrap book!

John














Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment