Daisypath Vacation tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

UPDATE 12/22

I can't help but write a little note about my visit with Michele this afternoon. I arrived at 3:05 today, and Michele was grinning from ear to ear, telling me that she just got her feed tube taken out 10 minutes ago! She showed me her bandage (see the great pic), said that it hurt, and also said that she was supposed to have PT any minute . . . and that Dr. Stapleton told her just to rest for the remainder of the afternoon. She also just got her period, so between that and the feed tube removal, she was NOT going to PT. (You know what I was thinking . . . WE'LL SEE!)

Heather, the physical therapist came in right on cue and Michele got very upset saying that Dr. Stapleton told her to rest. Heather checked this out and told Michele that Dr. Stapleton had not said this . . . and then the real fun began! Michele got very upset, but after Heather calmed her down, and I told her that maybe I could watch her session and see what she could do, she started smiling and looking to prove herself. I said that there was no way she could be in enough pain that she was smiling at the same time, so she whipped her legs off the side of the bed and pushed herself up so that she was sitting on the side of her bed. She sat up very tall on her own and I was just amazed to be able to see this progress from December 9. She was supporting herself completely, with feet on the floor. Very cool.

Heather first stretched out Michele's right foot and leg, which was really tight. The two of them had a conversation regarding the tightness and the fact that this leg was looser than it was just yesterday. Then, Heather put her wheelchair in front of her, with handles facing Michele. Michele tucked her feet in a bit and with just a little of Heather's help, stood straight up, holding the handles. It was beyond amazing. There was no crying . . . only smiling! I wish I had my camera to show you how she did this. Her hips are still a little tight so her butt was out a bit, but the rest of her body was straight and tall. After standing for about a minute, she reached back towards the bed and sat back down. Then, it was up again to a standing position. She did this three times and on the third time I stood in front of her . . . looking at her eye to eye . . . something I told her we hadn't done in a year! It was so cool and she was smiling! She said "I'm going home to be with my girls and boys!" That's the truth!

After she got back to bed I told Heather that this is Michele's new bar - that she can work through ANYTHING, even the pain of her period and after having her feed tube yanked out! Her headache was only at a 4, which was lower than I've seen in a very long time. She looked great and obviously felt great. The only thing that's bugging her now is that darned eye patch. Amy came in and then an old family friend, Ann Williamson who volunteers at the hospital on Tuesdays. Michele was very talkative and it was a great visit! I left at 4:30 so Amy could give Michele her manicure treatment. And did I mention, NO FEED TUBE!!!!!!!

Cindy.






Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment