Daisypath Vacation tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, December 9, 2010

UPDATE 12/8

It has been some time since my last email but the action has not stopped regarding Michele's recovery. Every day is a new day and full of accomplishments. I have spent the last 2 weeks planning Michele's next step in her progression towards her ultimate goal of returning home for good. Michele needs to go to an Acute rehab facility which means she needs to participate at least 3 hours a day. This is a tough task for someone that has spent 10 months without moving at all however I do believe Michele is ready for the next step in her recovery and when I ask her if she is ready she says yes but she is scared. Her therapy is hard and changing hospitals brings new chalanges and more work. If you know my Michele you all know she is a hard worker and she will make it ovr time. She is not one to give up easily and over time she will get used to her new schedule. I have included below the last 2 updates from her sisters to let you all know what she has been doing the last few days. Michele will be discharged from the Boulder Manor tomorrow morning at 9:30 AM and heading to Mapleton Rehab Center located in Boulder. This facility is close to home and gives the family a chance to help in her rehab on a daily basis. You will see below what progress Michele has made recently as she has discovered the "PHONE" I get a call 3-4 times a day and I cant tell you how excited I am to talk to my wife during the day no matter where I am. I have spent the last 11 months making an effort to go to the hospital to kiss my wife good night EVERY night and I still do for the most part but this new communication takes us to a new level as I can actually have a conversation with her over the phone and it is like when we were teens. You know the story! "I love you! I love you too! ok you hang up first, no you, OK on the count of three we both hang up. 1,2,3 are you still there of course I am you did not hang up, but you agreed to hang up, so did you. Ok lets try this again on the count of 3 we will hang up. OK? Yes.

I feel like a kid again! John


12-06-10 by Amy McAlister

Michele had a great evening... she was REALLY talkative! It's amazing that now she can almost talk in full sentences. AND she's HILARIOUS!!! We were laughing pretty hard. One of her favorite things to do is talk on the phone, and boy did she ever surprise me yesterday!!!

Michele called my work phone around 12:50 yesterday. I was so surprised when I answered! Although we used to talk every day, she was actually the last person I expected to hear on the other line. I asked her if Cindy was there and she said, "no she just left". So I asked if Cindy wrote down my work number for her and she said, "no, I remembered it!". WOW!!! Amazing!!! I called her again when I left work to tell her I was on the way and ask if she needed anything. It's really cool that she has this new connection to the outside world!

Billy called to chat with his Mom for awhile, and Michele also talked to Karen at length.

We practiced names earlier in the evening, and it really upsets her when she can't get names right. When she holds up 4 fingers I know she's referring to the kids. It's a relief when she laughs at herself when she gets the name wrong, and she's determined to get it right.

Overall, Michele had no complaints last night, other than her meds were late. She called Lindsay in to ask for them. Dinner was ordered, and when it arrived, she ate quite a bit - pasta with a light meat sauce. She seemed to enjoy it. Amy.

12-08-10 Cindy Skerjanec.

I write this report today with mixed feelings . . . thinking about how far Michele has come at Boulder Manor, and getting the news today that she will move over to Mapleton Rehabilitation Center TOMORROW MORNING! Yes, John was able to work some magic and get her approved to move quickly. Michele is a little nervous about it (she keeps thinking that she needs to be walking on day one) but everyone that came in and talked to her today, or said goodbye, told her that she was going to do great! She had a sweet and tearful goodbye with Carla, as she told Carla that she loved her and thanked her for everything she did. There wasn't a dry eye in the room.



She was in good spirits and even sent me out (with Carla's approval) to McDonald's to get her a plain cheeseburger since she had missed the lunch tray earlier in the afternoon. Carla worked with her on speech while John worked with the wheelchair guy on fitting Michele's wheelchair with some new bells and whistles.



Michele pointed to the pictures and practiced names as John carefully removed all of the pictures from the walls and the closet door. He got everything boxed up and ready to go for tomorrow, taking most of it with him in his car. The room is pretty bare now, which made the reality of it all hit home. We have all gotten so comfortable with the staff, knowing each person by name and by their quirky personality traits, and knowing her schedule to a tee. Now all of that is going to be new again, which I think scares Michele a little, too. She had that place hopping!

Her head was itchy, so when Liz came, she and I washed Michele's hair in her bed and she said it felt much better afterwards. Billy was going to stop by and have dinner with Liz and Michele in her room, which she was really looking forward to.

Hard to believe that we are on to a new adventure again . . . one surely to be filled with many more exciting advancements! John said that the staff at Mapleton will need some time to evaluate Michele, and get her routine and schedule down before we all make our plans to visit. Stay tuned for more information as we work to accommodate the new facility and the new rhythm of Michele's schedule. We will get a new schedule together once everything has been established, but I'm guessing that next week will be a family-only week as we set the stage for this new stepping stone for Michele. Cindy.


Our Miracle does not seem to stop and only gets better by the day. Michele and I spent the evening last night going over her complete story including pictures of what she has been through. Yes all the gory details I have told her and shown all pictures. She was amazed, emotional and in wonderment. She asked why am I alive? This was really bad! Why am I still hear? I told her she was a true Miracle and we all need to appreciate the wonderful gife that has been give to us and use our new gift of life to the fullest potential. She agreed and we vowed to work together to make the best of the miracle that has been bestowed upon our family. Michele is determined to get better and continue her life with her family and friends. It is only a matter of time now.

John









Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I was very deeply touched by this post. Thank you so much for sharing your Miracle with the world. I have followed Michele's story from the beginning because John is in my son's third grade class. I am so happy to see how rapidly Michele is improving now. Thank you again for trusting us with your story. It means so much.

    ReplyDelete