Daisypath Vacation tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, August 23, 2010

UPDATE 8/22

I had a meeting with the entire staff at Kindred on Friday. We discussed Michele’s future for the next 3-4 months. Michele will have her Trach removed on Monday at 1pm and I will attend as I did when she had it inserted. I was told it is simple to remove and the wound will heal by itself in a matter of a few days without stitches. They simply remove it and cover it with gauze until it closes over a 2 day period. My wishes are that this helps Michele speak but honestly this has nothing to do with her speech other than mind over matter. Her inability to speak is solely due to the motor and speech functions in her brain and it will take a long time for that to heal if ever.

Michele is doing well medically and is on the fast track to leave her present hospital. Over the next two weeks Michele is expected to work her way out of the “Acute Care” to a “Skilled Nursing” facility. That means that she will be closer to home, without continued medical care but enhanced physical therapy. The goal is to get her to Craig Hospital over time but she only has 30 days at this hospital and she needs to have it at the proper time to make sure she gets all the help she needs.

Michele will not have her shunt adjusted at this time as the doctor decided to wait and see what happens over the next 2 weeks. This is very frustrating as I have been told several times that the shunt is and would be adjusted in certain directions to only find out that it has not been done. I cannot explain why this occurs, other than this is what the doctors say and it can change at any time. I will have to just hold my feelings and hands to my self until this is all over.

I am working to get Michele 2 procedures, Accumputure and Microcurrent which have been approve by her insurance but I need to get the right doctors to perform these procedures. I believe these both will help her in her healing.

I want to thank all of you that have sent emails over the last 3 days and I am reading all of them to Michele. I have not been able to read them all yet as they keep piling in but I want to ask that anyone that has not sent one in yet please do so as it is a project of mine to get everyone to respond so I can show Michele how much support she has. Please respond to this email even if you do not have a picture as she listens to every email with complete attention whether she knows the sender or not. Even a simple “Hi I’m from Colorado” will do just to show your support!

**Please know that ALL and ANY comments posted to this BLOG get copied directly to John**

Thank you,
John

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle,
    We only know each other through mutual friends (school, Elia Gourgouris and Steve Smith) however I have followed your story from the very beginning. I think of you often and see your family running about the town and schools. My children are in classes with some of your children and they are amazed at how well they are coping. Obviously, you have great family support!

    There is another family that suffered a similar tragedy as your family at the same time, of which you were next door mates for awhile at St Anthony's (She is now at Craig's). That family lives next door to us in Superior, of which we pray together for you and her (Lola Drollinger). Lola had a catastrophic car accident in Belize which left her a paraplegic with a brain injury as well(technically a para but a quad at this time until rehab proves the body is responding). That family is surviving well too but they often ask about your recovery hoping it is progressing in the right direction.

    We wish you the best in your recovery. If there is anything we can do, please don't hestitate to contact us.

    Sincerely and with much love to you and your family,
    Debra Williams
    dawmjw@q.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello O'Donnell Family,

    You don't know me, but I have been following this blog from the beginning. I first learned of Michelle's accident from the message boards on the Royal Resorts website, when you were looking for a unit to stay in while you were still down in Cancun. (We own at the Royal Caribbean during week 21.)

    My family and I also live in Colorado, in Woodland Park, which is in the foothills of Pikes Peak, outside of Colorado Springs. Jeff and I have two little girls, Isabelle is 9 and Abigail is 6.

    Even though we've never met, I feel a connection with Michelle since we have several things in common (living in CO, being a Mom, having a strong faith). I know that we cannot be of much help to you, but I just wanted to let you know that we are praying for all of you, which is probably the most important thing we can do.

    It's great to read about the wonderful, supportive family and friends that you all have....And to see what a loyal and loving spouse John is.

    Thank you for the continuing updates on Michelle's condition....We will continue to pray for her progress and for the whole family's well-being.

    Wendy Snyder
    wendysnyder@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you in Chicago. Praying every day! Keep fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michele,
    My name is Kristen Reiley and I was John's teacher last year in 2nd grade. Although we never had a chance to meet-I was on maternity leave 2 weeks after the school year started I have known your kids since my first year at Eldorado 4 years ago. Tana was actually my first student aide 4 years ago at Eldo. I remember her and I used to talk about getting our hair colored and I always thought she had the coolest mom for letting her color her hair in middle school. John was an absolute joy in my class. The way his eyes get tiny when he smiles really big and laughs is unforgettable. When he returned from Cancun I was not sure what to expect. Each day and moment was different, but he perservered and was very successful. We became good friends and he knew he could come to me with anything. I will never forget the day you came home from Miami. We were in the library and it was snowing VERY bad...I knew all John could think about was your flight. We talked about it and cried about it and prayed about it and you made it home safely! I think of your family everyday and only wish there was something I could do. I knew it would be okay with you..but every morning I told John that I was SO glad to see him and I gave him a hug. I work at Monarch K-8 this year and I miss him dearly. I also miss seeing Alyssa in the hallway. It was always so beautiful to see her and her friends run over to John to give him a quick hug and check on him. I also had the opportunity to meet Billy when he came to school to check on the kids lunch accounts. I thought how responsible! I have a daughter turning 1 year old this week. There are no words to explain the love a mother has for her children. I know that your children know how much you love them...just by the way they talked about you. I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers.
    With Love,
    Kristen Reiley
    kristen.reiley@bvsd.org

    ReplyDelete